Guilty of neglecting your back muscles? You’re not the only one. We often focus mainly on the muscles we see in the mirror and end up completely forgetting about the ones at the back. While our abs may be on point just in time for our summer beach holiday, our back could do with a little work in the gym. However, we’ve got you sorted with the best exercises for toning your back and feeling fantastic, from back to front.
Not only will working on your back boost your overall physique, but it’ll also dramatically improve strength and posture. A clever combination of the right diet plus the back exercises that give you the most bang for your buck will get you on the right path to eliminating excess fat and back pain. These two effective exercises are bound to make you feel strong, powerful and ready to step up your gym game.
1. Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees bent and upper body leaning forwards from the hips. Keep a flat back.
2. Holding a barbell with both hands, arms extended towards the floor, row the barbell up to your waist.
3. Lower slowly and repeat.
Safety tip: keep your shoulders back and try not to hunch.
1. Stand underneath a pull-up bar, on a step if necessary.
2. Jump up to take hold of the pull-up bar with both hands, palms facing you. Your chin should already be at the height of the bar, at the top of the movement.
3. Lower yourself as slowly as you can, until arms are fully extended.
4. Release and repeat.
Kick refined carbs to the curb
Keeping fit and looking after your body isn’t just about doing the right exercises; you also need to make sure you’re eating the right food to. Exercising and maintaining a healthy diet go hand-in-hand.
Make sure that sugar and refined carbohydrates (like pasta and bread) are sparse in your diet as the consumption of high-GI foods like these will encourage your body to store fat. Fill up on fibrous veg and high-protein sources like eggs and chicken, instead.